Town of Grant
(printed in the Stevens Point Journal - May 19, 1992 Click the link to read it)
GLIMPSES OF THE PAST
Sometime prior to 1864 property owners living south of the Wisconsin River, in what was called the Town of Linwood, petitioned the Portage County Board of Supervisors for a new township status. This new township "GRANT" was granted on April 1, 1864. This important date in history is the reason that we celebrate our town, more than one-hundred fifty years later.